Thursday, May 26, 2011


"Back Home Again in Indiana" sung by Jim Nabors is one of the traditions of the Indy 500.

My memory of the race track goes back to when I was 7 years old. My parents always listened to the 500 mile race therefore becoming a part of my very soul. Since I was a child of 7, I haven't missed a race either by listening on the radio or attending in person except for one year when we were on a cruise ship. This is the 100th year celebration of the Indy 500 making it a very special year. There are many, many traditions at the track including the Back Home in Indiana being sung. The Purdue marching band plays every year, hundreds of balloons are billowing in the sky, the jets fly overhead and electricity fills the air. But the tradition that warms my heart is the pause and silence of the crowd as the announcer asks for one minute of silence to honor our soldiers. I can feel the goosebumps as I type this.


This year I will again be beside my radio listening to the race; in the evening I will watch the ABC airing of the race (the live race is blacked out because Lafayette is within the 60 mile radius of the track) and on Monday night I will watch the Awards Banquet on TV as well.


I created the zentangle above to honor the Indianapolis 500. I am submitting it as my first entry to a weekly zentangle contest by an on-line blog. The blog link is:



If that link doesn't work try: http://iamthedivaczt.blogspot.com


Have a happy Memorial Day and don't forget what "Memorial Day" really means. Take time as you're cooking out or whatever you enjoy this weekend to honor our military men and women both past and present.


No comments: