Monday, December 19, 2011

Dr. Seuss Christmas

Dr. Seuss


And the Grinch, with his Grinch-feet ice cold in the snow, stood puzzling and puzzling, how could it be so? It came without ribbons. It came without tags. It came without packages, boxes or bags. And he puzzled and puzzled 'till his puzzler was sore. Then the Grinch thought of something he hadn't before. What if Christmas, he thought, doesn't come from a store? What if Christmas, perhaps, means a little bit more?



I knitted both my girls Christmas stockings and as they were growing up filled them with all kinds of treats and small gifts.  I really enjoyed shopping and making gifts for their stockings and it was fun watching them dump them out with such enthusiasm!

Another Christmas tradition is to purchase or make them a new Christmas ornament each year.  As adults, they still look forward to their new ornament.  One Christmas a few years ago when I'd had a hectic and financially difficult year, I told them that I thought I'd discontinue the tradition of Christmas Ornaments.
Both girls exclaimed that it wouldn't be Christmas without an ornament from me.  So, the tradition continues and I must admit, I'm so glad it does.  

Both these traditions are special memories for us.  But the memories are not so much the ornaments as much as it's the tradition of showing love by creating a tradition which bonds us together. 

No comments: