Saturday, January 28, 2012

Ham Casserole recipe, another favorite quote


This is another one of my favorite quotes:
 
"I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food."
W. C. Fields



Here's a new recipe I've customized from a recipe I found in a magazine.  I was looking for a way to serve leftover ham in a new way.  I found a recipe for the potato gratin and then added my own touches, including the diced leftover ham (along with a little humor)





 2 Potato Ham & Cheese Casserole:

1/2 cup diced onions
4 tsp. seasoning blend herbs (your favorite mixture - mine is a store brand mixture which has garlic, basil, black pepper, thyme, celery seed, etc.  McCormick makes several blends - choose one which satisfies your tastes in herbs).
2 cups diced cooked  ham
1 1/2 lbs. sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced thin
1 1/2 lbs. Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and sliced thin  
1/2 cup shredded swiss cheese
1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
1/2 cup whipping cream
2 cans cream of celery soup (undiluted)
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup wine (can be omitted - add more milk if you'd rather - then drink the wine  :)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, spray a large baking pan with spray shortening (Pam)

Layer 1/2 the potatoes, 1/2 the cheese, onions, ham; repeat layers. 
Mix the cream soups, whipped cream, milk and wine -  add spice mixture.  Pour over the layers of ham, onions and potatoes.

Cover with foil and bake 1 hour or until potatoes are tender.  Remove foil and bake another 15 minutes or until top is slightly browned.  Let stand 15 minutes before serving.
 

No comments: